Today I was locating paintings, varnishing dry oil paintings, unpacking an enormous frame order,
finding coordinating frames for paintings, unpacking from my trip, and playing with Daisy and Duke!
I was reflecting on my Monhegan painting trip. Here are a few things I might change next time:
1. I would bring the baby jogger that has 16 inch galvanized tires. I brought my home depot construction
worker box with wheels. It was difficult to manuver over all the rocks and sand on the roads. The baby
jogger has worked best in the past. I just didn't get it into the car.
2. Bring a few gallons of drinking water. They do have bottled beverages in the store. It would be best to
carry along a gallon of water. I would store it in the baby jogger. I remember strolling with ease with
a lot of painting equipment and gallon jug of water a few years ago.
3. Bring a heating blanket with long extention cord. I would tell the Trailing Yew about using a heating
blanket and offer to pay a few extra dollars for the electric. It was cold.
4. Bring a wool hat, better coat, wool under clothing, and heat packs. It was 88 degrees in Bucksport before
I left. I did bring two wool sweaters and a jacket. It just wasn't enough. Hard to be in 40-50 degree temps
without a heater for days.
Great things about painting on Monhegan island:
1. Monhegan Island is full of painting inspiration. The island is a jewel. Sometimes I would find myself
looking where Frederick Waugh may have painted. The Wyeths painted on Monhegan. You
never know who you might meet. Many successful painters travel to Monhegan to paint. I didn't see
very many painters working. The season doesn't start until July. I do think June is a great time to
I would stay at the Trailing Yew on Monhegan. They make a great breakfast and dinner.
I met many nice people during these meals. People sit at the same table. They introduce
themselves. Conversations are very interesting. I did meet a few couples interested in my
work. Some artists stay in cottages. I think there are many advantages in staying at the
Trailing Yew. Many artists stay here at this hotel.
I am getting geared up for my only outdoor art show this year. The location for this show is
in Bar Harbor, Saturday and Sunday. There will be a few other artists there as well. So
if you are near by, come out to say hello! Have a wonderful night!
Here is Duke hopping up to take the Frosty Paws doggy ice cream. Daisy was on the other side. They
say thank you for the painting sales! They howl for their treat.